Wednesday 1 May 2013

Stand and stare? Ain't nobody got time for that!


When running it is often the case of having a fixed time, fixed number of miles or a predefined route in mind.  I go out and do what I think I should be doing before returning home, uploading the results from the Garmin and planning the next session.

But Sunday was different - cold to start with but soon the sun was out melting the overnight frost.  I made a conscious decision after a few miles to change my route and go off piste to just enjoy the journey rather than tick of the miles.

So when a buzzard flew lazily overhead I stopped and watched.  I watched a herd of 5 deer (does 5 count as a herd or is a group) bounce out of the woods to my right and run across my path.  I even did something I rarely do - stop and look behind me. I'd never seen that view before and it was fantasitic - it reminds me that the next time I am out this way I really must run the route in reverse (preferably with my head up - I think I know what my feet look like by now).

So every now and again I need to remember the words:

"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

"Ain't nobody got time for that" - perhaps we should make time.

No comments:

Post a Comment