Tuesday 21 June 2016

Arun River Run 2016

Blimey it's been a while, and way back on the horse....


Not done a Sussex Trail Run before, but it was well organised and low key.   Easy parking at the start in the marina.

We had a quick briefing at the start line and off we went.



I'd not really researched this one a lot, one of the reasons I was doing it was it was on a Saturday (Sundays are quite busy these days with ferrying kids about to various sporting activities), so my initial thoughts that this would be a nice flat wooded river bank run was a little off.

It started flat, the river Arun is not quite as picturesque as I was expecting it to be.  The track by the river and as a little uneven - it wasn't quite worn in enough to give it a smooth consistent feel - not really my surface, constantly moving from slight path to lumpy grass, but at least it was flat.



Arrived at Arundel quicker than expected - should have read the race route.  I had thought it was much later on the route - must go back and visit the castle and the odd tea shop for tea and cake at some point,

Passed Arundel and soon reached the Black Rabbit pub for the first top up - must go back there too for lunch and a beer, nice views from the beer garden,

At mile the route 10 hits the SDW, I recognised the bridge from the SDW100 and headed East (apparently someone headed West towards Winchester last time - oops).  The path then climbed relentlessly upwards.  Blimey I wasn't expecting this (should have looked at the route).  The climb was littered with youngsters doing DoE.  The path was often blocked by backpacks twice the size of the child carrying it.  Moans of "I'm never doing this again" and "I can't go on" were mumbled in front.  But the kids all cheered us on and moved over as the runners came through.  Hurrah for modern youth.

Eventually crested Rackham Hill and got to the turn around point, had a few munchies (including my fuel of choice - jaffa cakes),  The speedy runners had already turned round and had been heading back (I do like that bit of an out and back course).  They barely looked like they had done 15 meters let alone 15 miles.

Down hill for quite a while (no longer keen on this bit - tends to hurt after a while).  Was particularly impressed by the mountain bikers pedalling up the hill as I was running down.

Came off the SDW and headed back along the river.  The sun was well and truly up at this point and there was nowhere to hide, I don't like the heat very much, so things started to slow down a little. The organisers added in an extra water station (good move) to help.



Very near the end I missed a turn off but was shouted back by a supporter (phew).  Would not have added too much distance, but it was obvious at this point that I had switched off.  Must remember to concentrate all the time (I blame the sun).

Over the line and picked up a medal - part of a set of 4 - which is a great idea.  The completist in me now thinks I need the set but we'll see,  Heavy weight medal it is too - this is the first medal I have received that I think could be used as a lethal weapon!

I didn't have time for the post-race breakfast which was on offer, so  headed back to the car and home.



Overall:

Lessons Learn: Look at the Route



No comments:

Post a Comment