Monday 28 October 2013

Abingdon Marathon 2013 Race Report

A little late in the write up but here we go...

Finally got the right date .  For all my preparation in the end I couldn't have been less prepared.

For some reason I thought it started at 9:30 - nope it was 9:00, I was ready physically (so I thought) but not mentally.

So I was aiming for 3:30, an even 8 minute mile pace.  It started well, but started a little too fast, running with another bunch who were aiming for 3:30.

Despite the early morning rain, it was rather warm, which didn't help, so the enviable happened and I slowed down drastically.  At 10 miles I was in trouble and thinking that this was really hard work and that I had been a complete idioted.  I needed to slow down and try and reset my race.

I don't often do road races, I generally find them a bit dull, running around housing estates and industrial estates is not much fun.  And the terrain is a little monotonous, no hills to get your teeth into.

Then the race took a serious turn for the worst. I was physical accosted by some woman who took umbridge at runners using the footpath - I tried to squeeze passed her on a narrow path - wall on one side, steep grassy verge on the other, I tried to get round (there was enough room) but she deliberately stuck her elbow out in order to hit me - which she did with some force in the chest (I can still feel the bruised ribs over a week later).
  
I stopped and approached her at which point she then told me "I should be on the F****** road", I was so cross, but what can you say to that - it spoilt my race - until near the end when two women walking in front of me apologised for getting in the way - they weren't I'd already moved round them - no problem I said, faith in humanity restored
After that I hung on to the finish - 11 seconds slower than 4 years ago.  In the end please to get finished.

Goodie bag was a bit feeble - a T-shirt and a bottle of water.

Lessons:

Check the start date and time
Don't start too fast

No comments:

Post a Comment