Monday 14 October 2013

Abingdon Marathon 2013 Race Report - ish

The last time I ran at Abingdon was 2010, where a set a PB, I've not run a road marathon since and hence the PB still stands.  My trial marathon times have been dropping recently and after last weekends half marathon PB I thought my changes would be good at setting a new PB

Races are won before you cross the start line, so I thought I'd better prepare with extra care.  I checked my times from the last race, worked out the slow miles where I'd need to put in extra effort and finalised my pacing strategy.

I got my kit ready - I even filled in my race number details and pinned it to my top.  I was super prepared.

Alarm went off and after a small breakfast I set up.  Drive to Abingdon was fine, SatNav directed me to the car park with easy.  As I pulled up into the college I did think it eerily quiet, with a distinct lack of signage.

At was at that point that I had a "bad feeling about this".  I pulled out the instruction sheet that arrived with the race number, and there it was first line "20th October", so I was exactly a week early.

How that happened I have no idea, it is written on the calendar (home and word) as the 13th,  it's on my phone as the 13th, I told everyone at work it was the 13th.

So what do I do?  I did think of starting anyway - that way I had a chance of winning.  I also though of sitting there for a few hours otherwise I'd have to admit what a idiot I'd been. Decisions, decisions - so I turned tail and headed home to face the music.

I was called a numpty for the rest of the day at home,  today at work I was called worse.

So am I looking forward to the Abingdon Marathon on the 20th?  Well I would be had I not also entered a cycle race on the same day - unless I got that date wrong too....

No comments:

Post a Comment