Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Olym-Picnic Ultra Experiment - 2012

An old post this - originally on Fetcheveryone.com - but having forgotten all about it and wanting to collect things in one place I thought I'd republish here.  The Olympics seem such a long time ago now - don't they?

This race was run 23/6/12, I fact I did see an Olympicnic T-shirt at the Farnham Pilgrim on Sunday,  anyway here it is as published:


Less a race, more a psychological experiment...

Sensory deprivation

During the faster flatter sections the occasional slick mud was like running on ice, this section was also under tree cover, so running on ice in the dark, with the occasion low hanging branch, so running on ice in the dark whilst ducking, and then the occasion tree root, so running on ice in the dark whilst ducking and tripping. 

Memory - effects over time

I did the race last year, thinking I would have at least 2 years before I would have to put my body through it again. I signed up as soon as I saw the special edition of the race. Running round I thought, this is bonkers, why I going this, steps in a race is bonkers (the sudden image of being chase down by "H" for Steps was quickly banished). However, now that it's finished, those individual steps are receding fast from memory, by next year only the memory of the finish line will remain. The pain in my legs will also have gone, next year will be back to the normal 26.2 miles - perhaps I'll sign up for that one sounds easier. 

Psychological Torture.

Who would devise a course that is so evil in design. Running down hills, only to turn round and have to run back up them, running to the finish line, only to turn round and do it all again. It was made worse this year by running even further down one hill (compared to last year), only to turn round and run back up, not once or twice but 4 times. At least the stepping stones weren't flooded this year, so we were excused the water boarding.

Learning

A test of those who learn from their mistakes. The clever ones from last year did the 5K Park run in the morning and had the Saturday afternoon with their feet up. I didn't learn, I came back.

Social Behavior

My favourite bit, the interaction of marshal and runner. A mere plastic cup of water delivered with a smile into the hands of knackered individual can bring such joy. The fact that it is often delivered with a cheeky quip, "not far now", "see you on the way back", "looking good" - we both know it's a little white lie but I respect you even for saying it in such a cherry way.

There was also the interaction of runner and runner. The sideways dance as runners passed on the left. Multitasking: trying not to touch, checking the runners number to see if they were doing the half or the full, trying to see their name so you can shout out at them next time they pass, and of course avoiding the branches that you have forgotten about because you were distracted.

Dream Interpretation

The hours spend on this run gives plenty of time for the mind to wander. Luckily the organisers can't see into my head, just as well, it was bad enough having the image of "H" from Steps chasing me down, everything else is staying locking in my head.

Conclusion.

You don't have to me mental to do the race, but you will be by the finish line. Despite the struggle I still loved every minute of it (some of the seconds where a bit rubbish), and next time I hope to be chased by Lisa from Steps (although I might not run so fast).

No comments:

Post a Comment