Tuesday 3 September 2013

The shame... I confess I have cheated on a loved one.

I am a big fan of Parkruns and I am finally closing in on my first big milestone - the 50 T-shirt.  I have loads of running T-shirts in a drawer but somehow I feel like I am earning this one.  Rather than a one off event this T-shirt takes repeated effort.  Getting out early Saturday morning for that 9am start with a least two kids in tow is a feat I am quite proud of.

So it is with great shame that I have to admit I that I have strayed from the straight and narrow and indulged in a little infidelity,  I was seduced by another.

After 18 months or so of being faithful to the same Parkrun I went and ran on another course.  It felt very illicit and afterwards I felt a little grubby but that 50 T-shirt is one run closer to being mine.

The excuse was that I was on holiday and it was just down the road, my son was keen to go too.  I also thought it would be interesting to try out a new course and see if the times would be comparable.

Serwerby Parkrun starts out for the first mile nice and flat by the seaside - I moving quickly and thought I am on a PB here.  Then it went a bit weird,  the return section along the front was straight into a coastal headwind (that slowed me down a little) , the run then went into Park land, where several lumps and bumps appeared.  After that came a wooded area with loose chippings and roots followed by steps!

So that was the PB right out the window,  my son finished the race mumbling about steps shouldn't be allowed in a Parkrun (at least that is what I think he said).

I returned to the safe haven of my home Parkrun on Saturday - and begged forgiveness - I shall not stray again (unless I am getting closer to that 100 T-shirt in which case....).

No comments:

Post a Comment