Tuesday 17 September 2013

Farnham Pilgrim 2013 Race Report

This is my fourth running of the Farnham Pilgrim Marathon, every one since it first began – so I feel a special connection with this race.  The organization and set-up has always been first rate, but I haven’t always loved the course.  In the early days I found the course a little willful, a little too masochistic.  There always seemed to a lot more climbing to be done which was never repaid by long stretches of decent.  And as for the climb up St Catherine’s Abbey –(straight up, round and back down) that was mean, ditto the sandy climb up to St Marth’s church.

But this time I was at one with the course, hills were there for the view, top of St. Martha’s is a great view.  There is a great variety on this course, tiny villages, rivers to cross. Farm trail, footpath, roads, steps, woodland, open farmland, heath – always changing

There is easy parking close to the start, although the walk up the hill from the car park to the finish line is a timely reminder that this course is hilly.

I have been slowly reducing my time on this course each time I have run it, but my main aim for the course was to keep it steady over the whole course, and not trail off like I usually do over a marathon distance.  I was also using it to gauge how quick (or not) I might be for Abingdon next month.

Attached a flimsy looking timing chip to my shoes – that’ll come off, too easily I thought, caught on root or a bramble – but it didn’t.  There are loads of water stations on the route so I made the decision not to run with a bum bag and therefore left my water bottle behind.  I took four ISOGELs (which are quite watery) stuffed into my shorts.  In the end I only used one, had plenty to drink and had a few bits of banana on the way round.

The organisers got people warming up and then without a huge fanfare everyone was off.  I took it easy to start with, I was aiming for a 9 minute mile pace – but was soon getting nearer 8:30.  The miles ticked by nicely, scenery changed around us, under foot it changed from road to footpath, to farm track, to mud, to steps, to grass, to sand – to pretty much everything except snow.

At the half way point, the sandy climb up to St Martha’s church went well, I cracked the usual joke about bringing a bucket and spade next time.  A nice decent after that into Guildford, here I was cheered on by several gangs of hiking girls – the last of which all did high-fives – definite boost there (I am sure they cheered everyone else but to me they were my personal cheerleaders).

Race markings were excellent, I never felt lost, even on the rare occasion that I was running alone.  There are marshals everywhere, I sure the entire population of Farnham must have been out wearing hi-viz.

The last six miles or so seemed to get more lumpy, certainly more uphill than down, although that might just have been my legs tiring.  Feeling a little tired I  let my mind wander and suddenly out from the trees appears a marshal (I assume) dressed as an old “hag”, Weird I thought, then there is was one dressed as a wizard – they didn’t say anything – just waved their staffs – I ran on.

I was checking the time more closely now as I neared the end, working out if I could still get in under 4 hours.  I had miss remembered the end of the course and thought that I had further to go once I hit the golf course at the end.  The climb up to the car park didn’t seem to last as long as I remembered either.  So with a quick “sprint” to the line it was over – make sub-4 hours so quite pleased with that.

Once over the line presented with medal and drink and a nice goody bag, mug and T-shirt (not sure I’d use either – have plenty of mugs and plenty of T-shirts – a little disappointed not to get another calendar like last year – but that is just me)

I was pleased to see plodding hippo from Fetch at the start line – she took some great photos at the Salisbury 54321 last month so said thanks.  I was also looking out for Paul Ali, but didn’t see him (surprising as looking at the results we finished about 5 places apart) was going to say how much I enjoy his Ultra-trails magazine and say good luck for Spartathon – so Good Luck anyway).

So I grabbed a few cakes at the finish and headed home – so nice to do a local race, I was home by 2:30, had been bathed and changed into my compression tights (still not convinced then work but it gives the family something to laugh at) and had my feet up infront of the TV by 3:00.


Big thanks to organisers – definitely be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment