Monday 23 December 2013

Portsmouth Waterside Coastal Marathon 2013

Waterside Coastal - surely a tautology?

This was to be my third running of the Portsmouth Waterside Coastal Marathon.  It is nearly always wet and windy, especially the last 2 miles running along the front towards the Pyramid Centre.

Arriving early I parked up by the boating lake (free parking) at that point it was still dark, it was also at this point the heavens opened.  Oh crap I thought, this is is going to be miserable.  Eventually it settled down a little and ventured out to Race HQ.

Very busy this year, up from 900 to 1165 entries, so a little cramped finding a piece of floor to get changed. Most people were sheltering inside out of the rain, which again came in just as the race as about to start, which meant a few people missed the 9:00 start.  Actually I think it started before that - there was very little fanfare.

Luckily the rain soon stopped and I was pleased to have chosen to run in long sleeved top and gillet - rather than full jacket as that makes me overheat a little.

The first few miles run along the Southsea front and despite the numbers of runners, moved well, the rest were a mix of muddy footpaths, beach, shingle, mud, occasional bit of tarmac and sea..

For some of the sections of mud I touch to running along the top of the sea wall, feeling like a 5 year, but without the parents hand to hold - just in case I fell.   I did see a few people slip over in the mud, I'm not sure if this was down to not paying attention or from not having the correct footwear - definitely something with a bit of grip required.

Aid stations were regular and well stocked: water, gels, chocolate, jelly beans and my personal favourite dark chocolate Jaffa cakes.  It being nearly Christmas the aid stations also had the occasional mince pie and alcoholic beverage too.

Several people also dressed up for the occasion: Santa, a pair of reindeer and a Christmas tree all made an appearance.

Being a slower runner, by the time I hit the 3 mile mark the sea had already started to come in, so I ended up wading through knee deep, freezing water.  Just as well the trainers were already soaking.

Last two miles were a total slog, head down into the wind grind it out kinda running.

So at the end was nigh, slower than last year (drier last year) but was pleased to get round and finish.

Soup and mince pie at the end were delightful - handy goodie bag - cereal, Clif bar, a few pretzels, high 5 electrolyte powder - all handy stuff.

No I don't need to feel guilty about the extra large helping of Christmas pudding I intend to have

What I learnt:

You cannot beat the wind - just tough it out.
Ground in winter is wet, wear the right shoes
Body glide those bits you missed!



No comments:

Post a Comment