Monday 13 January 2014

Ashmei - Long Sleeved Jersey - a Review


£85 for a running top - are you mad?  Luckily no I am not (as self confessed tight git) - it was an ebay bargain - yes they do happen.

What they say:

 "A Classic styled long sleeve running jersey produced in superfine merino wool for maximum body temperature regulation, fast wicking and no nasty smells!"

What I say:

I am a fan of merino, I have a few merino baselayers and a merino buff and they are fantastic, even in the wet.  This running top feels good against the skin, no scratchy bits.  It's a little thicker than a normal baselayer, definitely one for cooler days.

Normally I'm a medium and this fits perfectly in every way, except when using the thumb loops - the sleeves are just a little too short.  I didn't think I'd use it to be honest but after a few cold evenings I have been sticking my thumb out like a manic hitch-hiker.  It is a good length too, covering most of my bum which means there is no chilly draft going upy my back

Summary of Features:

Thumb loops - Would work better if your arms are short enough, not like the long armed chimp that apparently I am.

Cable tidy - Interesting feature fitted to the back of the neck.  It works best if you have an arm mounted player or a player that is thin enough to fit in the back pocket.  But I have not made use of this feature.



Zipped pockets - one on top of the shoulder - which I assume is for a small key, I like most people carry a large bunch round with me, so rather than looking like Quasimodo I don't use this.
The other pockets is in the middle of the back and again is long and narrow - enough room for a key.

Non-zipped pocket - a longer pocket in the centre back - idea for a narrow MP3 player or a gel - a High5 Isogel fits perfectly anything smaller and you'll have problems fishing it out again.


The downside of using these pockets occurs because the jersey isn't skin tight.  Because of this anything in the rear pockets will bounce up and down like Zeebedee at a Sex Pistols gig.  After a few miles of this it will feel uncomfortable.  You could lesson the bounce by using a jacket (but then you can't get to the pocket.

You also cannot wear a waist bag with this jersey, as the zip and bag rub together and chaff the skin - as I found out after the Portsmouth Marathon



Two way front zip - the zip at the front can be opened at the bottom "for ventilation" - seems overkill and a single zip would be sufficient but the zip is of good quality and should last.

Reflective detailing - I think there could be more - if I was night running I'd make sure other areas also had reflective surfaces - hat, glove, shorts etc.  There isn't enough on the jersey alone.

Overall:

I bought ithe top as it was a fairly cheap (thanks ebay) merino top - this way I can run to work and not stink the office out - in this matter it performs well - the other bells and whistles - I think are over engineered and unnecessary - if you are adding pockets - I think I would prefer one on the chest, further up so it won't bounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment