Thursday 8 May 2014

Race report: LDWA Oxford 20/40 3rd May 2014

A Bank Holiday event run in warm weather, shock.  In fact the weather was warm enough for a little sun burn - I now have 2 very nice short marks across my quads.

LDWA Oxford, that would be starting in Henley-on-Thames then, arrived well within the start time, easy parking, lots of marshals pointing at things and headed for check-in.

Deispite picking up a cold mid-week I was feeling pretty good, especially my first long run in a while (since SDW100 in fact).  Start was low key (I love LDWA events for that) and off we went.  With route instructions in hand, I tried to reacquaint myself with the task of running and reading at the same time,  In fact, it didn't take long before the first few people didn't read things quick enough and headed down the wrong path.

Things soon settled down and what passed was several house of woodland runs, cutting through on easy trails (not too wet and muddy) and looking at the bluebells.  occasionally I'd pop out of a wood and have a grass covered field to run through, or a valley to descend and climb.  Out in the open Red Kites swooped overhead, one even hovered a few meters away, it was a fantastic moment, I thought is I reach for the camera the moment will be lost.  So I stopped and stared, watching as it moved with barely a feather moving - awesome.

Everyone on route was buoyed by the sunshine,  The lead walkers all said hello, the youngsters on DoE awards,  Even the crowds in Henley at the end of the day all seemed just happy to be out and about.

Loved the route, despite only being an hour away from me, is not an area I am familiar with.

I did run a long stretch with a guy (never did get his name) who I had met on both the SDW50 and the Marlborough Downs 33 - it's a small world this ultra world.

At the same time that this race was coming along the Thames path, the Centurion TP100 was being set up,  tape was already marking the route, and James and crew were already setting up the Henley checkpoint - I think they were a little bemused to be approached by 2 runners heading in the wrong direction.

Nothing much else to add, nice even pace got me round, great scenery, great weather, thanks LDWA.


No comments:

Post a Comment